The Optimist Club of Gettysburg met on Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at the Gettysburg Lutheran Seminary Refectory. A delicious chicken dinner was prepared by Biggerstaff Catering.
President Dan Mattern welcomed (14) members and (1) guest. Dan opened the evening with the invocation and pledge. Dinner was served.
- Dan recognized Ted Sayres for being Santa Claus, Stacey and staff for providing a delicious Christmas dinner, and Al Parone for bringing a guest, Joe Parone.
- Reports: President’s report given by Dan, Secretary’s report emailed by Daryl was approved, and Treasure’s report given by Tom.
- Committee Reports:
- Basketball (Kris and Mindy) – Kris reported that our first date is this Saturday, 1-6, and coaches are still needed. Joe MacDowell and members are setting up lower height hoops for the children.
- Christmas/ Magic Show (Doug) – The show was a success and money is still being received.
- Oyster / Shrimp Feed (Wayne and Stacey) – The date is set for March 24. The word is START SELLING TICKETS NOW!!!!
- Golf (Bruce) Every member is being asked to help get sponsors and foursomes. If all 33 Optimist members each get a $500.00 sponsor the Optimist Golf Tournament will be a huge success!!!! If you prefer Daryl or Bruce will phone potential sponsors, just email name and phone number.
- Membership – Dan initiated discussion regarding ways to increase club membership. Many ideas were brainstormed. The officers and board of directors will review the suggestions and discuss the next step. (*See attached document for list of new membership ideas.)
- Fundraiser – Stacey and Darlene introduced parking cars at the Gettysburg Wine and Music Festival, Saturday and Sunday, September 8th & 9th sponsored by the Gettysburg Adams Chamber of Commerce as a new fundraiser. Club members at the meeting were all in agreement that the club needs to pursue this opportunity.
Walt Jones recently had knee replacement. Members wish Walt a speedy recovery.
- 1/17/18 Next Optimist meeting @ Gettysburg Seminary Refectory
- 1/06/18 Optimist Basketball starts see our website for registration information
- 3/24/18 Oyster/Shrimp Fundraiser @ Gettysburg Fire Hall
- 5/17/18 Golf Tournament Fundraiser @ The Links at Gettysburg
Daryl Aurand, Secretary