The Optimist Club of Gettysburg met on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at the Gettysburg Lutheran Seminary Valentine Hall. A delicious pulled pork dinner was prepared by Biggerstaff Catering.
President Dan Mattern welcomed the members and guests. Dan opened the meeting with the invocation and pledge of allegiance. Dinner was served.
- Our guest speaker was Ruth Topper, representing STARS / GASD and Holiday Family Outreach. STARS is an acronym for Success Through Academic Recognition of Students. The mission of the STARS program is to motivate students to achieve academic excellence and improvement and to formally recognize their achievements. Holiday Family Outreach is a non profit organization dating back to 1953. They provide Christmas for low income and senior citizens in Adams County. The provisions include toys for children, apples donated by Rice Fruit CO., and ($25) food vouchers used at Kennies. This great service includes approximately 500 families and between 1,200 to 1,400 children. If you are interested in volunteering to help with these organizations both have web sites with detailed information. Our thanks to Ruth Topper and all of the volunteers for all you do.
- Approval was made of the minutes from the 11-01 meeting and treasurer’s report.
- President Dan thanked all who volunteered for the Christmas Salvation Army Bell ringing date of 12-21. If you are interested in volunteering please call Dan ASAP.
- The Christmas Magic Show telephone solicitation is under way.
- Mindy reported on our Optimist basketball program and sign-ups. Thank you Mindy and Kris for your many hours you give for this wonderful project.
- Wayne will be getting oyster tickets out to everyone, let’s be proactive and call Wayne and request at least 20 tickets !!!
- Sam reported that our 501 C 3 non profit status is on its way through all the necessary legal channels.
- The meeting was concluded by reciting the Optimist Creed.
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing 12/21/17
- Optimist Christmas Dinner @ Gettysburg Seminary Refectory 12/13/17
- Christmas Magic Show 12/08/17 @ Lincoln Elementary
- Optimist Basketball signups 12/02 & 12/09 @ Middle School 9AM-11AM
- 3/24/18 Oyster/Shrimp Fundraiser @ Gettysburg Fire Hall
- 5/17/18 Golf Tournament Fundraiser @ The Links at Gettysburg
Respectfully Submitted, Daryl Aurand, Secretary