The Optimist Club of Gettysburg met on Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at the Deatrick Community Center. President Marci Cropp welcomed 15 members. Marci opened the evening by leading the Pledge of Allegiance. Brent Smith gave the invocation. A delicious chicken and meatball dinner was prepared by Cropp Catering. Also, included was a very tasty crab salsa from Marci’s shop, Rosie’s.
No program this evening.
- Secretary’s report was approved.
- Treasure’s report was approved.
- President’s report:
- Thank you notes were circulated from Ad. Co. Head Start and Ad. Co. Arts Council.
- Fred Darling was sworn in as a board member by VP Brian Skidmore.
- Brian Skidmore received a plaque in honor of the 2018 year he served as president of the club.
- Sam and Brian volunteered to prepare the meals for March 18th and April 15th
- Please contact Marci ASAP if you have not yet signed up to help with Bell Ringing on December 12th. (Sign-up sheet attached)
- Club members brainstormed many ideas for recruiting new members:
- Don Davis suggested that a club brochure be given to people moving into the area via Welcome Wagon and Ginny.
- Presentations given to local businesses that might be willing to pay for employee’s membership in the club.
- Display of a “join” banner and forms at all Optimist events.
- Members present at all events that would personally invite people to join.
Discussion will continue later.
Committee/Task Force Reports:
Amphitheater Task Force
The Adams County Tech Prep Program students and teacher, Dave Snyder, continue renovations that may be completed in November. A picture and article appeared in the Gettysburg Times on November 4th during a Pizza Thank You lunch provided for students by Optimist Club members Marci, Tom, Daryl, Dan, Brian, Mark, and Wayne. Tom reported that a nail gun will be donated to the Adams County Tech Prep Program (Gettysburg, Fairfield, Littlestown, Conewago Valley, and Bermudian Springs Schools).
Christmas Magic Show Committee
Marci reported for Doug that the event will be held December 13, 2019 at 6:30 PM at Lincoln Elementary School. Please contact Doug ASAP if you are able to help.
Basketball Program Committee
Marci reported for Chris that club members are needed to help with participant registration at the Gettysburg Middle School cafeteria on December 14, 2019 from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Please contact Chris ASAP.
Golf Tournament Fundraiser Committee
Daryl reported that the Golf Fundraiser date is set for May 21, 2020 at the Links. Co-chairpersons are Tom Barako and Daryl Aurand. Committee members are needed, so please contact Tom or Daryl ASAP.
Oyster/Shrimp Fundraiser Committee:
Wayne reported the oyster event date of March 28, 2020. Tickets may be available for the Holiday Dinner on December 11th. The members discussed selling tickets at the Christmas Magic Show and Basketball Registration in December. The Key Club will help throughout the event. Members discussed the possible creation of a sign-up work schedule so there are enough members throughout the event for all necessary details from padding to clean-up. Stacy and Wayne will make final decisions. More information will be given at a later date.
- The meeting ended with the recitation of the Optimist Creed.
- 12/11/19 Optimist Holiday Dinner @ Gettysburg Seminary Refectory
- 12/12/19 Salvation Army Bell Ringing on Thursday.
- 12/13/19 Christmas Magic Show, 6:30 PM @ Lincoln Elementary School
- 12/14/19 Optimist Basketball 2019 – 2020, registration @ Middle School Cafeteria and on our website.
- 1/13/20 Board of Director meeting
- 1/15/20 Next Meeting
- 3/28/20 Oyster/Shrimp Fundraiser @ Gettysburg Fire Hall
- 5/21/20 Golf Tournament @ Links at Gettysburg
Daryl Aurand, Secretary