The Optimist Club of Gettysburg met on Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at the Gettysburg Lutheran Seminary Refectory. A delicious roast turkey dinner with apple dumplings for dessert was prepared by Biggerstaff Catering. President Brian Skidmore welcomed (15) members. Brian opened the evening with the pledge of allegiance and gave the invocation.
- Walt Jones presented results that our club members had voted on from a previous meeting for aiding in selecting the students that are awarded “Gettysburg Optimist Club Academic Award” scholarship as part of the Dollars for Scholars. This is (2) $1,000.00 scholarships one for a graduating boy and one for a girl who are continuing their education at a 2/4 year college.
- Committee Reports:
- Basketball (Kris and Mindy) – Mindy reported that Optimist Basketball is underway and after the first (2) Saturdays we have approximately 140 players. We really could use some help for Kris and Mindy especially from 9 to 11 AM. Once again our program is a success and special kudos to Mindy and Kris for their hard work.
- Oyster / Shrimp Feed (Wayne and Stacey) – The date is set for March 16.
- Golf (Bruce) Every member is being asked to help get sponsors and foursomes. If all 33 Optimist members each get a $500.00 sponsor the Optimist Golf Tournament will be a huge success!!!! If you prefer Wayne, Daryl or Bruce will phone potential sponsors, just email name and phone number.
- The meeting was concluded by reciting the Optimist Creed.
- 1-19 Gettysburg Optimist Basketball @ Gettysburg Middle School
- 1-26 Gettysburg Optimist Basketball @ Gettysburg Middle School
- 1-30 STARS breakfast, 8AM @ Gettysburg Area High School
- 2-2 Gettysburg Optimist Basketball @ Gettysburg Middle School
- 2-6 Gettysburg Optimist Meeting, 6PM @ Gettysburg Seminary Valentine Hall room 206
- 2-9 Gettysburg Optimist Basketball @ Gettysburg Middle School
- 2-16 Gettysburg Optimist Basketball @ Gettysburg Middle School
- 2-19 2nd Quarter Zone Meeting, 6PM call President Brian if your attending
- 2-20 Gettysburg Optimist Meeting, 6PM @ Gettysburg Seminary Refectory
- 2-23 Gettysburg Optimist Basketball @ Gettysburg Middle School
- 3-16-2019 Oyster/Shrimp Fundraiser @ Gettysburg Fire Hall, tickets $40/person, contact Wayne Hill for tickets
- 5-16-2019 Golf Tournament Fundraiser @ The Links at Gettysburg
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
January 16, 2019
The Optimist Club of Gettysburg, Board of Directors met on Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at “Gettysburg Lutheran Seminary”. Present at this meeting were Brian Skidmore, Tom Barako, Mindy Accardi, Dan Mattern, Marci Cropp, Chris Bender and Daryl Aurand.
- President Brian opened the board meeting by thanking all officers and board members for attending and being committed to the “Optimist Club of Gettysburg”.
- Mindy presented to the board that Kris and herself have been chairing and running our basketball program for (6) years and are seeking someone to run the weekly sessions. We acknowledged the time and effort put into this event by Kris and Mindy and many thanks for their leadership and participation.
- Marci spoke on behalf of our website and the increased number of times people are on our site. Marci also brought to our attention how the activity has increased with our Optimist Basketball Program in full swing. With this she is advertising our oyster/shrimp feed with the capability for patrons to order tickets on line.
Another addition will be promoting our golf tournament on our website.
Respectfully Submitted, Daryl Aurand, Secretary