The Optimist Club of Gettysburg met on Wednesday, January 4, 2022, 6:00 PM at Hoss’s Steak and Sea House. We had 2 guests, and 13 members present for our meeting. President Gary welcomed all in attendance for our meeting.
- Secretary’s Report: Approved.
- Treasure’s report: Approved
- President’s Report:
- Guest speakers from Special Olympics Adams County, Athlete – Carole Ann Bollinger and Volunteer Sherrie Wivel.
Carole Ann spoke to us about her accomplishments in the many sports opportunities available to students and adults with intellectual disabilities working with volunteers and coaches throughout the year. She said they are always looking for volunteers and coaches to help continue this great program.
Volunteer Sherrie Wivel addressed the feeling of accomplishment the athletes and their families experience. The benefits of the Special Olympics extend well beyond the playing field.
When Carole Ann spoke, her enthusiasm and enjoyment from this program was obvious.
Our club showed our support with $500.00 given through the ACF Giving Spree.
Photo of check presentation to Adams County Special Olympics for the newspaper.
- Optimist Basketball (Chair Chris Bender & Brian Skidmore)
- Chris & Brian reported sign-ups are going well. This year’s location is at Gettysburg Area Middle School. The first date is this Saturday 1/7 from 9 am – 12 pm. Chris and Brian are NEED volunteers.
- Respect for Law (Chair Doug Miller)
- Gettysburg Wine & Music Festival Parking (Chair Brian Skidmore)
- 9/9 & 10
- Work in progress for a parking fee, details to be worked out.
- Adams County Foundation Giving Spree (Chair Joe MacDowell & Fred Darling)
- RIF & Environmental Ed (Chair Lyne Aurand)
- Money will be distributed to RIF which is part of the 2022-2023 Budget
- Environmental Ed has been discontinued per Gettysburg Area School Administration and School Board
- Youth Golf Outing (Chair ??)
- Proposal for a spring youth 9-hole golf tournament/outing approved. Randy, Walt, and Gary agreed to plan this event.
- Golf Tournament Fundraiser (Chair Dan Mattern)
- May 18, 2023
- Updated promotion information will be available soon.
- A motion was made by Treasurer Randy and approved by the membership to pay for guests and guest speakers from Activities Account at meetings.
- 1/7/, 1/14, 1/21, 1/28 Opt BB 9-12 @ Gettysburg Area Middle School
- 2/1/23 6:00 PM General Membership meeting at Deatrick Community Center
- 2/4, 2/11, 2/18, 2/25 Opt BB 9-12 @ Gettysburg Area Middle School
- 2/2023 Zone Meeting
Daryl Aurand, Secretary