The Gettysburg Optimist Club met on March 1,2023, at the Deatrick Commons Community Center. The meeting was called to order by President Gary Rappoldt at 6:30 pm. Gary made an invocation followed by a delicious homemade lasagna dinner. This was followed by the Business Session at 7:00 pm.
1. Secretary Report. Fred Darling no report.
2. Treasurer Report Randy Smith. Approved
3. President’s Report. Gary reported that there will be a BOD meeting probably on March 15. Asked members to consider returning to two meetings per month?
4. Respect for Law. Doug said that this program will be March 22 at 9:00 am at the Court House. Detective Honoree has been selected.
5. Golf Outing. Dan Mattern reported that plans are proceeding well. He talked about the new flyer, and if anyone wants copies to see him. May 18
6. Member Comments
– Gary. Get together with Walt Jones about the Youth Golf Program.
– Brian. Donation Recommendation
– Don. Kudos to the people who work with youngsters in the various sports programs.
– Fred. Dan, Gary, and I attended the STARS program at Gettysburg High School.
7. General Discussion. There was discussion regarding club support of the Little League Team. Support will continue. Also discussion about the sign that was made placed on the Rec Park fence regarding Optimist support. Total cost of everything was approved at $650
– 4/5 Regular Meeting at Deatrick Commons Community Center.
– 5/3 Regular Meeting at Deatrick Commons Community Center
– 5/18 golf tournament
– 6/7 Regular Meeting Officer elections and Budget
– 7/12 Optimist Club Picnic
– 9/9and9/10 Wine and Music Festival Parking
– 10/4 Banquet and Installation
Optimistically submitted, Fred Darling
Meeting Reminder- June 7, 2023Uncategorized
Good morning Gettysburg Optimist,
This is a reminder of our upcoming meeting this Wednesday, June 7th, 6:00 PM at Savorhood Gettysburg. For those members who have not experienced the Savorhood dining, you are in for a treat. Steve will have an area roped off for our Optimist contingency on the deck.
Keep in mind a portion of this meeting will be for officer nominations and yes we may need to consider past presidents as possible candidates. There are benefits in past Presidents serving in that they bring experienced leadership to help in guiding Gettysburg’s great “Optimist Mission’ in serving approximately 8,000 youth in the Adams County Community.
Hope to see you all there!
2023 Golf Tournament A SuccessUncategorized
A huge “Thank You” to our generous sponsors, players and donors. The Optimist May 18, 2023 Golf Tournament was a success. The Clyde E. Williams Jr. Memorial Golf Tournament was sold out. For those that were able to register, they enjoyed a beautifully sunny day on the course at The Links At Gettysburg!
Please find event photos on our facebook page.
The Optimist members thank everyone for attending and for supporting the youth in our community by participating in this event! Thank you!
Golf Tournament Announcement – Sold OutUncategorized
A huge “Thank You” to our generous sponsors, players and donors. The Clyde E. Williams Jr. Memorial Golf Tournament is Sold Out. For those that are registered, we look forward to seeing you at The Links At Gettysburg on May 18, 2023 for a fabulous golf event!
Meeting Minutes – May 3, 2023Uncategorized
The Optimist Club of Gettysburg met on Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 6 PM at Deatrick Village Community Center, Gettysburg. We had 16 members present for our meeting. President Gary welcomed all in attendance for our meeting. Randy provided a buffet of fried chicken with all the dinner condiments. Sam provided an apple crisp for dessert. I even saw some people going back for 2nds, we won’t mention names.
1. Secretary’s Report: Approved.
2.Treasure’s report: Reported and Approved
3. President’s Report:
4. Optimist Basketball (Chair Chris Bender & Brian Skidmore)
5. Respect for Law (Chair Doug Miller)
6. Gettysburg Wine & Music Festival Parking (Chair Brian Skidmore)
7. Adams County Foundation Giving Spree (Chair Joe MacDowell & Fred Darling)
8. RIF & Environmental Ed (Chair Lyne Aurand)
9. Youth Golf Outing (Chair Walt Jones, Randy Smith & Gary Rappoldt)
10. Golf Tournament Fundraiser (Chair Dan Mattern)
11. Brian suggested a meeting in the fall to bring your adult child or friend.
12. Several members voiced their opinion that Activities Account funds be spent only on Activity Expenses. Members should pay for their monthly meals from the General Account. If the meal cost exceeds the allowance, then pay the additional from pocket. The specifics will be presented at the next meeting by the Board of Directors. Approved by general membership vote at our 1-4-2023 meeting: to pay for guests and guest speakers from Activities Account at meetings.
13. Little League Baseball
14. Adams County Economic Education Foundation
Respectfully Submitted, Daryl Aurand, Secretary
Optimist Respect for LawUncategorized
The Optimist Club of Gettysburg presented the law enforcement award to Beyer at the commissioners’ meeting. Beyer was recognized for his “distinguished and dedicated service advancing the respect for law objective of Optimist International.”
Meeting Minutes – March1, 2023Uncategorized
Golf Tournament Announcement – Registration is OpenUncategorized
Print and Mail Downloadable Registration Form
Links Online Registration with Payment
Gettysburg Optimist Impact in Adams CountyUncategorized
The Gettysburg Optimist Club helps 7,647 children annually through a minimum of 12 charitable events. Thru our fundraisers, we have the ability to partner with some fantastic organizations to help in serving our youth and future leaders.
Meeting Minutes – February 1, 2023Uncategorized
The Optimist Club of Gettysburg met on Wednesday, February 1, 2023, 6 PM at Deatrick Village Community Center, Gettysburg. We had 1 guest, and 15 members present for our meeting. President Gary welcomed all in attendance for our meeting. Dan Mattern gave the invocation and Biggerstaff Catering provided a barbeque pork dinner enjoyed by all.
Respectfully Submitted, Daryl Aurand, Secretary
Meeting Minutes – January 4, 2022Uncategorized
The Optimist Club of Gettysburg met on Wednesday, January 4, 2022, 6:00 PM at Hoss’s Steak and Sea House. We had 2 guests, and 13 members present for our meeting. President Gary welcomed all in attendance for our meeting.
Carole Ann spoke to us about her accomplishments in the many sports opportunities available to students and adults with intellectual disabilities working with volunteers and coaches throughout the year. She said they are always looking for volunteers and coaches to help continue this great program.
Volunteer Sherrie Wivel addressed the feeling of accomplishment the athletes and their families experience. The benefits of the Special Olympics extend well beyond the playing field.
When Carole Ann spoke, her enthusiasm and enjoyment from this program was obvious.
Our club showed our support with $500.00 given through the ACF Giving Spree.
Photo of check presentation to Adams County Special Olympics for the newspaper.
Daryl Aurand, Secretary