The Optimist Club of Gettysburg met on Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 6 PM at Deatrick Village Community Center, Gettysburg. We had 16 members present for our meeting. President Gary welcomed all in attendance for our meeting. Randy provided a buffet of fried chicken with all the dinner condiments. Sam provided an apple crisp for dessert. I even saw some people going back for 2nds, we won’t mention names.
1. Secretary’s Report: Approved.
2.Treasure’s report: Reported and Approved
3. President’s Report:
- Our place for the next meeting was discussed and agreed we would have our meeting at Savorhood on Wednesday June 7. For members who have not experienced Savorhood you are in for a treat.
- It is time for officer nominations. Contact Gary if you have an interest or can think of someone who would make a good officer.
- We will not have our 3rd Wednesday social due to the golf tournament.
4. Optimist Basketball (Chair Chris Bender & Brian Skidmore)
5. Respect for Law (Chair Doug Miller)
6. Gettysburg Wine & Music Festival Parking (Chair Brian Skidmore)
- 9/9 & 10
- Work in progress with details to be worked out.
7. Adams County Foundation Giving Spree (Chair Joe MacDowell & Fred Darling)
8. RIF & Environmental Ed (Chair Lyne Aurand)
- Reading is Fundamental held at our April 5 meeting
9. Youth Golf Outing (Chair Walt Jones, Randy Smith & Gary Rappoldt)
- The membership voted to not host a “Youth Golf Outing” due to serving a small number of participants at this time.
10. Golf Tournament Fundraiser (Chair Dan Mattern)
- May 18, 2023
- Updated promotion and registration information is available on our website. Everyone is needed to promote sponsorships, foursomes, and make this our best Golf Tournament to date.
- If you have any questions call Dan, Tom, Steve, Daryl
- All hands-on deck Work on getting sponsors and golfers
11. Brian suggested a meeting in the fall to bring your adult child or friend.
12. Several members voiced their opinion that Activities Account funds be spent only on Activity Expenses. Members should pay for their monthly meals from the General Account. If the meal cost exceeds the allowance, then pay the additional from pocket. The specifics will be presented at the next meeting by the Board of Directors. Approved by general membership vote at our 1-4-2023 meeting: to pay for guests and guest speakers from Activities Account at meetings.
13. Little League Baseball
- Al reported due to rain the official opening day was postponed but rescheduled and there are 212 little league players including a girls softball team.
14. Adams County Economic Education Foundation
- Walt reported another success as students from Adams County are recognized for their achievement in the trades.
- Thursday May 18 Optimist Golf Tournament, registration and help to set-up 11:00 AM
- Next meeting June 7 @ Savorhood, Gettysburg – Gettysburg Community Theater, speaker Chad Alan-Carr
- 6-7 Membership Meeting 6 PM at Savorhood, Gettysburg, (Gettysburg Community Theater)
- 5-18 Golf Tournament at “The Links at Gettysburg”
- 6-21 Social evening at Fourscore Brewery on Wednesday June 21, 6PM
- July picnic date TBD
- August 4th Quarter Zone Meeting, Gettysburg Hosts
Respectfully Submitted, Daryl Aurand, Secretary