It will be upon us all very soon. The time for family vacations, fireworks, swimming, beach going, barbecues, festivals, grille-outs and all things outdoors. Summer will be making it’s annual debut on June 20th and the Gettysburg “Friends of Youth” will embark upon a Hot Summer of Optimism in Gettysburg. Knowing no season, members will continue to gather to conduct their business, celebrate the nations birthday and share some optimistic moments with their families and friends. Here are the Gettysburg Optimist Club events currently scheduled for the coming season:
- Wednesday, June 20 -The season begins with the clubs second regular monthly meeting. It will be held at the Lake Heritage Pavilion directly inside the main entrance to the lake community. This meeting will feature regular club business and an informative presentation from one of the clubs 19 sponsored programs. Dinner will be provided by two Optimist members for all to enjoy. The meeting gets underway at 6:30 pm.
- Wednesday, July 4 – A day in America for all of us to recognize and celebrate the birth of the greatest nation on earth. No regular monthly meeting or Optimist events are scheduled.
- Wednesday, July 11 – This evening has become a favorite of the Gettysburg Optimist Club members and their families. We will be gathering at Wayne and Sue hill’s home for “Optimists Family Night”. A great evening of good food, conversation, swimming and, the now famous, trivia contest. Highlight this date on your calendar, you don’t want to miss it.
- Wednesday, August 1 – Again we meet at the Lake Heritage Pavilion to learn, plan and plot supporting our communities youth. The evening feast will be provided by two of our own gifted culinary specialist (to be announced) and will get underway at 6:30 pm.
- Wednesday, August 15 – The Annual Optimist Zone 7 Quarterly Pig Roast will be held at the Lake Heritage Pavilion beginning at 6:30 pm. The Gettysburg Club will be hosting Optimist members from Zone 7 for the 4th quarter meeting. Held at the Lake Heritage Pavilion, this annual event is very popular with Optimists from York and the central Pennsylvania area as well as local attendees. Roast barbecue pork, potatoes, filling, slaw, pies and beverages will be the featured presentation for the evening. Entertainment will be provided by Lt. Governor, Tom McGlynn and Optimist Club Presidents from Zone 7. Invite a new friend of youth and family member and join us.
- Saturday and Sunday, August 25 & 26th – The Blue Gray Soccer Tournament Optimist Parking Summer Project will get underway at the Adams County Historic Society site on Biglerville Road in Gettysburg. Don Davis will once again lead the local membership in a remarkable display of car parking rodeo. This is the second soccer parking project of the Optimist year and accounts for a significant contribution to the clubs fund raising budget. A few time slots remain available for those members who want to participate on either day. Contact Chairman, Don Davis to volunteer to serve.
- Wednesday, September 5th – The traditional, end of summer, outdoor meeting. The “Promise Yourself Optimists of Gettysburg Grill-Out” will be held at the Cropp residence on Montclair Road east of Gettysburg. Established in the spirit of “Clyde’s Cabin” this last outdoor meeting of the summer will begin at 6:30 pm with steaks, brew and fellowship. A great opportunity to share Optimism with a prospective member.
As you can see, Optimists serving the youth of Gettysburg knows no barrier of time or season. There is plenty of opportunity to come together, between the annual summer vacations, holiday and busy schedules, to join with your fellow friends, family and members for a Hot Summer of Optimism in Gettysburg.