Daryl opened the meeting with the pledge of allegiance and guest introduction. This was a zone meeting with 21 total attendees.
A presentation was given by Jerry Cleaver and Jim Dunlap from Ruth’s Harvest. During last months Optimist trivia and family night, Ruth’s harvest was selected to be the recipient of $1000 donation. A check was also presented this evening. Please watch a short video to learn more about how the organization was started in the Gettysburg Community.
Ruth’s Harvest is kicking of their third year by expanding and taking on the middle school. 50% of the Gettysburg student population is eligible to participate with over 25% of the students are enrolled in the program. This is a 100% volunteer organization and works on the donations from local organizations and individuals. Please consider picking up a few extra items during your next shopping trip. Every item helps a local student. Drop off locations include Lincoln elementary and most local churches.
The traditional pig roast followed the presentation.
Dallas then opened the zone meeting.
– Congratulations to Zone 7 for ranking first in the district.
– Club president reminder – Please fill out and return the president prize report
– OI has several new member incentives. Teachers and Anyone under 30 can join the club for $30 for the first year, now through September 30, 2016
– District Convention will be held August 26-28 at the Eisenhower Inn and Convention Center. Please consider attending. We are looking for representation from Gettysburg
– District Photo Contest was successful. Clubs are encouraged to participate.
– There will be a Professional Development Series available in the coming months. More information to be announced.
– Currently we are apart of the New England and Great Lakes Region. A proposal was submitted and approved to move to the Mid Atlantic Region. This will take effect in one year (2017).
– Dallas’s Club is hosting a 60 Anniversary dinner on September 18 at Heritage Hills Golf Resort. Gettysburg is looking for representation. Contact Daryl or Dallas for more information.
– Awards were presented to the Gettysburg Club for Kris Acardi for obtaining Honor Club during his Presidency and a year patch was received for “Bringing out the best”. Citations were received for Tom Barako, Joe Macdowell, and Kris Accardi for achieving honor club. The awards will be given to the recipients at an upcoming meeting.
August 27-28 – Parking
Sept 7 – Meeting at Lake Heritage
September 21 – Regular Meeting
October 5 – Installation Banquet
October 19 – Regular Meeting
December 9 – Magic Show Lincoln Elementary
Meeting adjourned with the 50/50 drawing and the Optimist Creed.